Monday, June 14, 2010

Dmitri Mendeleev and the Periodic Table

Thanks to the Univ. of Nottingham videos described in my earlier post, the boys are still going nuts over the Periodic Table, learning the element names, symbols, and even atomic numbers (their idea, not mine). As it so happens, I found a one-hour audiobook, written for children, about Dmitri Mendeleev ("Mendeleyev and the Periodic Table," by Katherine White, and yes, there are two accepted spellings of the man's last name), who figured out the repeating properties of the (then) known elements (and predicted the ones that had yet to be discovered) to create the Periodic Table. It's a great story (the Table was the target of much scoffing and derision at first--and he thought it up during a short nap after a sleepless three-day marathon thinkfest), not too long (we were in a two-hour car ride, and it was just right). Then again, it put my five-year-old and my husband to sleep (luckily, I was driving), but the seven-year-old and I enjoyed it. Here's the link:

http://www.audible.com/adbl/site/products/ProductDetail.jsp?productID=BK_ADBL_000375&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

LOVE Audible.com. And they don't even pay me to say that!

No comments:

Post a Comment